The Brent, Blount, Moulton and Marston Quina buildings are some of downtown Pensacola’s most historic landmarks.
After the 1905 Halloween night fire consumed the original buildings on the block, new buildings were commissioned by Francis Celestino Brent and William Alexander Blount. The Brent building was designed by architect Higdon Hawley and constructed by M. T. Lewman. The Blount building, originally known as the Blount Watson building prior to the fire, was constructed by Charles Hill Turner in 1906 for a cost of approximately $200,000.
The block was recently sold by the Rainwater family to the Switzer family who is bringing the block back to it’s original glory through a historic restoration and redevelopment transforming it into a new live, work, play community.
John Appleyard. The Brent Block, 1990
The corner of Garden and Palafox.
8×10 glass negative.
The view is looking south from Garden Street.
UWF University Archives and
West Florida History Center.